Virginal after Ruckers with two separate instruments that can be played separate or coupled. When coupled – the Child is placed on top of the Mother. The Child can also be placed in the Mother for storage. (see pictures)
The Mother is a copy after a virginal by Ioannes Ruckers dated 1623 which is in the collection of Würtembergiches Landesmuseum in Stuttgart.
The Child is a 4 foot instrument (sounding one octave above normal) and mainly copied after an instrument by Andreas Ruckers and is located in Vleeshuis in Antwerpen
The painting is based on a painting by David Teniers (the Younger) and shows the castle Sterkshof, Deurne, where the Child was located earlier.
- pitch: a415
- compass: C/E – c3 (short octave)
- key covers: naturals in bone – sharps in bog oak
- jacks in Ruckers style with “mouse ear” dampers
- plectra in Mother: quills from raven and rook
- dimensions: Mother 170 x 45 x 30, Child: 80 x 40 x 15
- price: SEK 300 000:-
The instrument is sold by Kilströms Klafvessinmakeri and is located in Strängnäs.